The Heidelberg Student Chapter of SIAM
Who is SIAM and what is a Student Chapter?
The Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) is an international organization comprising more than 14 000 individual and almost 500 institutional members. Its goals are to "to convey useful mathematical knowledge to other professionals who could implement mathematical theory for practical, industrial, or scientific use".
Among a plethora of activities such as publishing journals and organizing conferences, it supports autonomous student chapters around the world that, locally and focusing on the undergraduate and graduate level, help to advance its mission.
The Heidelberg Student Chapter was founded in 2012 and since then has organized numerous talks from industry representatives, field trips to businesses and other events such as science slams, tools seminars, and many more. Check out our archive of past events in order to get an impression of the range of our activities!
Interested? Become a member!
Chapter membership: As a member of our chapter you will receive emails about upcoming events. The membership is completely free and can be revoked at any time. To become a member, just write an informal mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and your affiliation.
SIAM student membership: If you are a member of our chapter and an enrolled student of Heidelberg University you also qualify for a free student membership in our head organization SIAM. Benefits of this membership include:
- Subscription to activity groups, which are in essence newsletters that provide you with regular notifications on conferences, open positions (PhD, PostDoc, Tenure Tracks, ...) and more on specific mathematical topics such as Analysis of Partial Differential Equations, Control and Systems Theory, Data Science, Dynamical Systems, Imaging Science, Life Science, Mathematics of Planet Earth, Optimization, Supercomputing, Uncertainty Quantification - and more!
- Discounts on SIAM publications and travel awards and registration fee discounts for SIAM conferences
- Subscription to the monthly SIAM Newsletter with high-level articles on current mathematical research, book reviews, news on education, careers - and more!
Please contact us using your student email address if you are interested.
Contribute? Join the board!
As a member of our board you will
- grow your professional network by approaching partners in industry and meeting new people,
- gain experience in project management and feel the sense of achievement you only get by realising your own ideas and
- meet other striving students from areas related to applied mathematics - from Heidelberg, Germany, Europe and around the world!
We are always happy to welcome new people to our board. Write an informal email to get in touch.