Who is SIAM and what is a Student Chapter?
As stated on their website, the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)"is an international community of over 14,000 individual members. Almost 500 academic, manufacturing, research and development, service and consulting organizations, government, and military organizations worldwide are institutional members. SIAM was incorporated in 1952 as a nonprofit organization to convey useful mathematical knowledge to other professionals who could implement mathematical theory for practical, industrial, or scientific use. Since then, SIAM’s goals have remained the same:
- To advance the application of mathematics and computational science to engineering, industry, science, and society.
- To promote research that will lead to effective new mathematical and computational methods and techniques for science, engineering, industry, and society.
- To provide media for the exchange of information and ideas among mathematicians, engineers, and scientists."
Among a plethora of activities such as publishing journals and organizing conferences, it supports autonomous student chapters around the world that, locally and focusing on the undergraduate and graduate level, help to advance its mission.
The Heidelberg Student Chapter was founded in 2012 and since then has organized numerous talks from industry representatives, field trips to businesses and other events such as science slams, tools seminars, and many more. Check out our archive of past events in order to get an impression of the range of our activities!
SIAM Student Chapters do not exist in isolation but form a lively community. We exchange event invitations, meet on- and offline and organize joint workshops and symposia. In the past, we collaborated amongst others with the Chapters of Aachen, Hamburg, Magdeburg, Potsdam, Prague and Trier.
Interested? Become a member!
Chapter membership: As a member of our chapter you will receive emails about upcoming events. The membership is completely free and can be revoked at any time. To become a member, just write an informal mail to email@example.com with your name and your affiliation.
SIAM student membership: If you are a member of our chapter and an enrolled student of Heidelberg University you also qualify for a free student membership in our head organization SIAM. Benefits of this membership include:
- Subscription to SIAM activity groups, which are in essence newsletters that provide you with regular notifications on conferences, open positions (PhD, PostDoc, Tenure Tracks, ...) and more on specific mathematical topics such as Analysis of Partial Differential Equations, Control and Systems Theory, Data Science, Dynamical Systems, Imaging Science, Life Science, Mathematics of Planet Earth, Optimization, Supercomputing, Uncertainty Quantification - and more.
- Discounts on SIAM publications and travel support and registration fee discounts for SIAM conferences.
- Subscription to the monthly SIAM newsletter with high-level articles on current mathematical research, book reviews, news on education, careers - and more.
Please contact us using your student email address if you are interested.
Contribute? Join the board!
As a member of our board you will:
- Grow your professional network.
- Gain experience in project management.
- Realise your own event ideas.
- Represent our chapter at SIAM conferences and student chapter symposia.
- Meet other students from areas related to applied mathematics - from Heidelberg, Germany, Europe and around the world!
We are always happy to welcome new people to our board. Write an informal email to get in touch.